Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fighting Perfection


Hello, my name is Melissa and I am a perfectionist. (hello, Melissa)

When asked in an interview “what is your biggest weakness” I often counter by admitting my perfectionist nature. It is suppose to be a sly way of turning a negative into a positive. Honestly, though, I have come to learn perfectionism is a negative, plain and simple – a stress-inducing, frustrating way to go through life. Nothing is perfect. Nothing. And, if one perceives something as perfect it is only that one chooses not to focus on the flaws. Perceiving something as perfect is possible. This is a state of mind.

There is a difference between seeking excellence and achieving perfection: only one is possible, the other is a futile pursuit.

My new motto is ‘do your best and forget the rest’. A challenge for sure for someone who naturally scans the world for how it could or should be. I’m all for making the world a better place. I believe I have a better shot at this goal if I find value in the quirks and flaws in others, the world at large, and myself.

Perfection is boring.

So, let me give an honest answer to that interview question. My greatest weaknesses are (in no particular order) I’m overly talkative, sensitive, overly-contemplative, occasionally lazy, stubborn…. I suspect the list could go on, but I’ll stop there. Whew! That feels better.

No comments:

Post a Comment